That service was bad.
It was bad enough that if you could give it a no-star rating, you would.
So, in the spur of the moment, you lashed out and wrote up a Google review that could cost the business a few (or many) clients, and you weren't ashamed of it.
That is...until things cooled down. "Don't speak when you’re angry” is a saying for a reason.
Maybe your problem got solved after all, or you just want to tone your frustration down a notch. Can the damage be undone?
Back in the day, you wouldn’t be able to fix this. But this is 2021, and you can edit or delete a bad Google review to your liking in a heartbeat. (Unless you're the business owner! But, if you are a business owner, don't worry — there are only a few situations when you need to delete a bad Google review.)
We’ll show you how to do it, step-by-step.
It’s ridiculously easy. Follow us:
1. First things first, log in to your Gmail account (if you aren’t logged in already).
2. Now, go to the Google Maps page.
3. Next, find the search bar and click on the hamburger button (yes, that’s called a hamburger button).
4. A handy sidebar will slide into view. Find the tab that says “Your contributions”. Click it.
5. You’ll then see a little menu with four tabs. Go to “Reviews”.
6. In the “Reviews” section, you’ll see all reviews you’ve posted publicly, starting with the most recent. Now, all you have to do is select the three-dot icon (or you could call it a vertical ellipsis) on the right-hand side of the review you wish to edit or delete.
7. Once you click on it, three different options will show up: “Edit review”, “Delete review”, or “Add a photo”. Select the option of your choice.
8. If you select delete, you’ll get a confirmation pop-up. Keep in mind that if you delete it, you can’t undo it.
9. Finally, if you choose to edit a review, you can change everything about it. You can change the number of stars you give, do a complete rewrite, and add photos if you like. When you’re done, just hit “Post”.
Regardless of the review you’re leaving, honesty is key. If you’re frustrated, spit it out. The same applies if you’re pleased. Add as much detail and justification as you can. Just be respectful and remember that it can have a real effect on a small business.
By leaving a review, you’ll pull two weeds with one yank. You’ll give other searchers a chance to make an informed decision based on your experience, while also assisting with the growth of the business in question. Pretty great, wouldn’t you agree?
Deleting and editing Google reviews is easier than ever. You no longer need to worry about writing it perfectly the first time, and you can positively or negatively change your mind about any business later on.
Follow the instructions above, and you’re good to go. All you need is a minute!
Wondering if it would be more mature to just delete that scathing review?
Not so fast. Here are 8 ways a bad review can help businesses and customers alike.
Whether you're the business owner or the customer, there
are a few things to consider before rushing to delete
a negative review.